Download Skype for Mac: Skype is mainly a video chatting app that provides video chat as well as voice call services. It is an incredibly widely used app with over 660 million worldwide users back in 2010, with over 300 million estimated active each month as of August 2015. This app is used by consumers to exchange files like images, text, video and many others, and users can both text and video message with friends and family living anywhere in the world. Skype is available for Microsoft Windows, Macintosh, or Linux, as well as Android, Blackberry, and both Apple and Windows devices. Also, Check for Best Android Apps for PC/Laptop.
Another good use of Skype is the boost it gives to online and long distant services like consultants and for video conferencing and calls. With this app users can easily communicate over the Internet by voice using a microphone, by video by using a webcam, as well as with instant messaging. Skype is free of cost but a Skype Credit(debit-based user account system ) or a subscription is required to call a landline or a mobile phone number. Skype-to-Skype calls to other users are free of charge, though.
Download Skype for Mac Device – Steps to Install:
Don’t Miss: How to Download Snapchat for PC
Scroll down below and you will see Skype for Windows download which one can get by clicking the green button. But we do not want Windows version here, we are trying to download Mac version. Scroll further below and you will see the option of choosing download for alternate versions – Mac and Linux.
Click on the one which says ‘Learn more about Skype for Mac’
Step 2: Download Skype for Mac
Once you click on ‘Learn more about Skype for Mac‘, you will be lead to a page which gives you a brief introduction of Skype for Mac. On this page, you will also see a green button with ‘Download’ written on it.
On clicking this, the automatic download should begin within a few minutes. If is does not, refresh it.
Step 3: Double check the system requirements
For your convenience, we have listed all the systems that you need to get the latest Skype version on your Mac device.
- 1GHz Intel processor.
- Minimum: Mac OS X 10.6+
- Recommended: Mac OS X 10.9+
- 100 MB free disk space.
- Either USB or regular headset if your Mac does not have a built-in microphone.
- Download drivers if you are using an external webcam.
For voice calls recommend a broadband connection with 100 kbps down / 100 kbps up. For group video calling everyone on the call needs Skype 5.0 for Windows or Mac or higher plus webcams. For best quality we recommend you use a high-speed broadband connection of 4Mbps down/512kbps up and a computer with a Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz processor. As a minimum, you’ll need a high-speed broad connection of 512kbps down/128kbps up and a computer with a 1 GHz processor.
If there is any confusion regarding how to use the app you can always browse through the FAQ section where your queries regarding call making, video conference, SMS charges will be answered. You will also find information on which Mac OS you will need for the latest Skype version.
For those of you who are first time Skype users, we recommend you go through the ‘Getting started’ section so that you get a good idea of how to use the app.
- Users can send instant messages to other users in their contact list. Messages sent to offline users are stored on Skype servers and will be delivered to their recipients as soon as they come online on Skype.
- Chat history along with the message status will be synchronized across all user devices supported by Skype whenever the user signs in with the same Skype account.
- SMS is another service provided by Skype, however, it is not possible to receive SMS messages on Skype so users need a different way to receive responses to the messages they send using Skype. Basically, users can send SMS but cannot receive it. If two-way SMS is needed then users have to pay a small fee. Mostly, you will notice that the cost of Skype SMS is cheaper than regular SMS.
- Skype users can call landline and mobile phone numbers using Skype Credit or a calling subscription. This service was previously known as Skype Out. Users have the option of receiving a dedicated skype number that lets contacts call their Skype client from a landline or mobile phone.
- Skype Premium is an additional service which includes facilities like the selection of a calling subscription, making group video calls and chatting with up to 10 other people at a time. This service will also provide users with ad removal option and better customer support , thus improving the overall experience of using Skype.
- Voicemail service allows callers to leave voicemail messages for Skype users who are unavailable at that moment. Since 2012, leaving voicemail messages became a free service
- A previous feature Skype used to offer was Skype Zones Beta which provided subscription-based access at wireless hotspots operated by Cloud. But this was discontinued and Skype Wifi was introduced as a replacement. Skype Wifi is another useful feature which allows users to pay a per-minute charge for Internet access at commercial wireless hotspots using Skype Credit. In 2010, Skype had more than 100 participating networks.